Sunday 27 July 2014

20 Weeks - Halfway Point!

Wow, officially half way through this pregnancy! And fittingly, I started feeling really “pregnant” this week; I busted out all my old maternity stuff (clothes, body pillow, belly band), my belly button is sore, I’m getting full faster (which is kind of a nice built-in weight gain controller ;) but then if I do eat too much I get heartburn. Dangit!) I'm also starting to get looks from strangers - you know, the “is she pregnant, or did she eat too much?” looks.  I’m really considering buying some of these shirts:

 

My workouts are still going strong, though I have made a few modifications lately:

1) Any exercises that use free weights overhead are now very light and in a high rep range (Ex.: Bench Press, Shoulder Press, Chest Flyes, Overhead Dumbbell Tricep Extension).  As my center of gravity is shifting and my core is getting weaker, there's an increasing chance of dropping the weights unsafely and injuring either myself of the baby. I still have these exercises in my program, but am being very cautious when I go through the movements.

2) It’s becoming less and less comfortable to do abdominal exercises, especially ones that bring my knees to my chest.  But that’s ok, because I can still do other exercises for the same muscles! Here are some substitute exercises:
Was doing -- Now doing
Reverse Crunches -- Partial Crunches and Planks
Oblique Crunches and Bicycles -- Side planks
Hanging Leg Raises -- Lying Leg Raises (single and double leg)

I’ve also been incorporating vacuums to help combat Diastasis Recti (separation between the right and left sides of the rectus abdominis muscle). NOTE: If you are experiencing, or are recovering from Diastasis Recti, then consider staying away from planks and crunches, as they can exacerbate the problem. More on that in a future blog post.

3) Have I mentioned that I have completely eliminated any exercise that has me lying on my stomach? They haven’t been comfortable for me for a few weeks now. But again, there are still lots of options:
Was doing -- Now doing
Supermans -- Hyperextensions on the apparatus, light or no weight
Bench-supported Rear Delt Flyes -- Cable or Dumbbell Rear Delt Flyes
Reverse Hyperextensions (on a bench or on a ball) -- Cable Glute Kickbacks


I can still fit into those machines that have the front of your body pressed against a pad, like Rear Delt Flyes on the Pec Deck, Hammer Strength High Rows, and Butt Blaster machines, though it’s just a matter of time (and size) before those become uncomfortable too.

********

Aside from that, everything is business as usual. My energy is still good thanks to all the sleep I'm still getting, I haven't been having any aches or pains (except the ones caused by the workouts!), and doc says we're both healthy as can be :) Let's bring on the second half of this pregnancy!!

20 Weeks

Baby is the size of a banana :)

 -Tess



No comments:

Post a Comment